"All I know...is if you don’t figure out something then you’ll just stay ordinary, and it doesn’t matter if it’s a work of art or a taco or a pair of socks! Just create something new and there it is! And it's you, out in the world, outside of you and you can look at it or hear it or read it or feel it and you know a little more about...you. A little bit more than anyone else does. Does that make any sense at all?"

Saturday, February 6, 2010

10. Best Words, Best Order...Or Something Like That.

Syllabics are my favorite form this week, I think. I love the loose structure of it. Sure, Haikus and sonnets have interesting forms and structure, but they are so structured, they're kind of stifling. Maybe I respect them more, in a sense, because of it, but I can't find myself every find enjoyment in partaking something that obsessed with structure (there is so much irony in that, half of which has to do with how excited I am to try my hand at a villanelle).

Anyways, back to syllabics. In this case, you have an obvious form you have to stick to, but it's up to the poet just what that form is--no one tells you how many syllables to choose. I like that a lot. Not to mention, as my blog title says, I'm a prose person, so sometimes I get bogged down by my lines. Syllabics will help with that because you have to choose your words so carefully. Best words, best order, right?

It's definitely the type of poem I'm trying this week and after that, I might go back and rework a few older poems. There is one I have in mind (three page poem, no joke; but it was very much not single space), where I love the concept and some of the lines, but it just doesn't work...at all. Maybe this will help.

P.S. My favorite poetry form to try from time to time is one that consists of a series of repeating lines. Who else loves the ironyyy?

2 comments:

  1. I agree that the sylabbics can definitely help lots, especially in reworking older poems. I think that the confinement can actually create stronger word choice, especially in three page poems like the one you mention above.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this form as well but for soe reason I have a hard time counting the syllabes. It alwasy seems to be the things that should be the easiest that are actually the hardest.

    ReplyDelete