"All I know...is if you don’t figure out something then you’ll just stay ordinary, and it doesn’t matter if it’s a work of art or a taco or a pair of socks! Just create something new and there it is! And it's you, out in the world, outside of you and you can look at it or hear it or read it or feel it and you know a little more about...you. A little bit more than anyone else does. Does that make any sense at all?"

Saturday, February 20, 2010

15. Ghazals...

"The ghazal is a poetic form consisting of rhyming couplets and a refrain, with each line sharing the same meter. A ghazal may be understood as a poetic expression of both the pain of loss or separation and the beauty of love in spite of that pain. The form is ancient, originating in 6th century pre-Islamic Arabic verse."

Before reading the packet for this coming week, I decided to do a little bit of research on the Ghazal, because it was the first form we'd mentioned this semester that I had never heard of. Now I'm looking forward to finding out the mechanics of it, just because of the subject it's usually written on.

I think loss mixed with beauty is an interesting topic--because you don't just have to write on acceptance of loss, but rather on why the loss can be beneficial to you. I don't know, I just find that interesting. I'm not committing myself to the form or anything, but it doesn't seem like something I'd be totally against. The only thing I'm not so sure on? I read, also, that if it's a strict Ghazal, there is no enjambment allowed! I love enjambment (although I've gotten several comments on poems for class where people want to know why I broke the line where I did?)!

Keep in mind this information is from Wiki, because it was just quick research, but still, it's interesting preliminary work.

P. S. Found a Blog dedicated just to Ghazals, if anyone is interested in the form... http://ghazalville.blogspot.com/

1 comment:

  1. Yeah i had never heard of this form either. This cool tht you did a little extra research on the subject. And since now i now how much you like enjambments.. I can understand your line breaks better.

    ReplyDelete